Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Ridgewood Project: The Grilles

There happen to be these rectangular panels on the walls; you can see one of them in the image above. The image is a bit cut off, but you can still see it on the far lower left(ish) corner. We first thought they might be something electrical related; silly architects. Alas, they are not. When I first started to peel off the vinyl flooring and poke my head here and there, I also pried off one of these panels. Behold, there was a sheet metal lined shaft in the wall:

When I held the metal panel in the light, there seemed to be some kind of pattern embedded on it, behind the layers of paint. And on the underside of the panel was a bed of plaster. I started chipping away at it with my chisels. Damn it all - that stuff is hard! But suddenly, this emerged:

I suppose this was from when the house was heated by a coal or wood burning stove, and the heat traveled up through the walls and into the rooms via these grilles. Amazing, no?



No comments:

Post a Comment